Enjoy classic roast chicken done right.
- Shallow roasting pan, cast iron skillet or glass oven dish
- Butcher’s twine for trussing
- Basting brush, bulb baster or large spoon
- Meat thermometer
- Cooling rack
- Carving board with gutter
- Carving knife and fork
- Paper towels
- Position the oven rack in the bottom third of the oven.
- Pre-heat oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove neck and giblets from cavity.
- If stuffing, tie legs together and fold wings under.
- Season skin and/or add stuffing or aromatics to the cavity. Stuff loosely, about ¾ cup stuffing per pound of chicken or turkey.
- Save time by roasting root vegetables alongside or under the chicken or turkey.
- Baste regularly with pan juices.
Timing & Techniques
|Juicy low and slow technique||Cook-in-bag, set it and forget it||Easy main event—best for stuffed birds||Start high for darker, crispier skin||Cut cooking time in half with a butterflied bird|
|250°F||Preheat at 400°F
Lower to 350°F to cook
|350°F||450°F for 15 min
Lower to 350°F
|75 min/lb||N/A||25 min/lb
If stuffed, roast for an additional 20 minutes
|20 min/lb||12 min/lb|
|4 lb bird
|5 lb bird 130 min (fresh)
5 lb bird 4 hrs (frozen)
|4 lb stuffed bird
|4 lb bird
|4 lb bird
|Baste every 45 min||No basting necessary||Baste every 30-45 min||Baste every 30 min||Baste after 15 min and at finish|
|Turkey Weight||Cooking Temperature||Approx. Cooking Time|
|8 to 12 pound unstuffed turkey||325°F||2 ½ - 3 ½ hours|
|12 to 18 pound unstuffed turkey||325°F||2 ½ - 3 ½ hours|
|18 to 20 pound unstuffed turkey||325°F||4 - 6 hours|
|20 to 24 pound unstuffed turkey||325°F||4 ½ - 6 hours|
|TURKEY BREAST WEIGHT|
|8 to 12 pound unstuffed turkey||325°F||1 ¼ - 1 ¾ hours|
- Set it and forget it with PERDUE® Oven Ready Whole Seasoned Roasters, ideal for 6 to 8 people.
- If roasting parts instead of a whole bird, check out our Cooking with Parts page.
- To retain juices, rest the roasted bird for 10 to 15 minutes on a cooling rack before carving.
- Ensure safe stuffing by cooking to at least 165°F
Ensure doneness with a meat thermometer.
Refrigerate any leftover chicken or turkey immediately and use within 3-5 days.