Perdue's Blog The Table
Tips for Making a Care Meal
Here are a few tips for showing just how much you care.
Be Classically Nourishing
- Choose healthy, hearty dishes that are packed with maximum flavor and nutrition.
- This is the time for familiar comfort food, not the time to try out that newest trendy recipe.
- Keep in mind who will be eating your care meal. Children have a different palate than mom and dad or even grandma. Make sure you can satisfy everyone.
- Check for food allergies to make sure everyone can enjoy your care meal.
- Always ask whether there is something the recipient can’t eat. Sometimes diets change because of circumstances such as illness or nursing.
Make a Complete Meal
- Make a complete meal with side dishes. Some great combinations could be:
- Don’t forget dessert. A plate of cookies, a pan of brownies or even a homemade pie says you care about the details.
- Make enough to have leftovers. It’s always nice to get a few meals out of a care package.
- Throw in a couple of quick grab-and-go snacks that the recipient can eat right away. This is a big help if someone is sitting up with a newborn at midnight or needs a quick boost to get through the day.
Think Outside the Dinner Box
- You don’t care just at dinnertime! Breakfast and lunch meals are appreciated just as much.
- A great way to start the day is a breakfast care package. Great combinations could be:
- Fluffy Quiche with Chicken
- Muffins, honey, flavored butter and fresh juice
- Yogurt, granola and fresh berries
- Lunch is another great care meal option to try:
No Cleanup Says You Care
- The goal is to make your care meal easy, so try to bring as much of your meal as you can in disposable containers.
- Casseroles travel well in aluminum pans and make for easy reheating of all those leftovers.
- Plastic utensils and paper plates make for no-wash dining.
- Package snacks in paper or plastic bags and tie with string or ribbon for a decorative touch.
- Pack all of your goodies in a decorative basket or box. The recipient can use the basket again or toss the box after unpacking.
- Finish the total package with a thoughtful keepsake, such as a card, flowers, a bottle of wine, a DVD or maybe just a square of bubble wrap to pop for stress relief!
Reserve your seat at TheTable