Cooking & Prep
• Preheat oven to 425ºF. Remove giblets and visible fat, and rinse chicken under cool water; pat dry with paper towels.
• Rub skin with 2-3 tablespoons of oil or butter, if desired. Season inside and out with salt and pepper. If desired, fold back wings and tie legs together.
• Place chicken, breast-side up, in shallow roasting pan. Roast 30 minutes.
• Reduce heat to 375ºF and cook about 30-40 minutes longer, until juices run clear when thigh is pierced with a fork, and a meat thermometer registers 180ºF in the thickest part of the thigh. Baste occasionally, if desired.
• If glazing, brush on last 15 minutes.
See package for grilling instructions.