How To: Marinating
Take advantage of chicken's versatility.
- Choose a marinating vessel
- Whisk or spoon
- Basting brush or spoon
SETUP, COOKING & CLEANUP
- Set aside fresh marinade for basting (not leftover from marinating the chicken).
- Marinate poultry in the refrigerator.
- Use tongs to remove the parts for cooking.
- Flip the marinade bag (easiest method) or turn over the parts in the bowl halfway through the process.
- Dispose of leftover marinade and wash the vessel in hot, soapy water.
*Perdue recommends against using a metal bowl because acids in the marinade can cause a reaction.
TECHNIQUES & TIMING
- It only takes a few hours to impart great taste:
|Whole Chicken||4 to 12 hours|
|Boneless breasts||30 minutes to 2 hours|
|Thighs||1 to 6 hours|
|Split breasts||Up to 2 hours|
- Marinating chicken for more than 12 hours can result in a mushy texture.
- Ensure doneness with a meat thermometer.
- Refrigerate any leftover chicken or turkey immediately and use within 3-5 days.