HOW TO: Knives and Boards
Kitchen Confidence Starts With Knowing the Tools
- Steel (for honing)
- Knife block or sheaths
- Boards (use separate board for raw chicken)
- Wet paper towels under boards for stability
Know Your Knives
- Plastic boards are ideal for raw poultry because they are dishwasher-friendly and can be washed/sanitized with strong cleansers.
- Never put wood boards in the dishwasher.
- Do not let your board (wood or plastic) remain dirty for long after use, as it will become harder to adequately clean and may become damaged.
- To remove odors and stains from a butcher block board, rub the surface with kosher salt. Leave the salt on the board for a few hours to absorb moisture.*
*Source: National Kitchen and Bath Association
Ensure doneness with a meat thermometer.
Refrigerate any leftover chicken or turkey immediately and use within 3-5 days.