How To: Butterfly a Whole Bird
Flatten a whole bird and watch cooking time fly.
- Kitchen shears
- Butcher's twine
- Plastic cutting board
- Wet paper towels under the board for stability
WHY BUTTERFLY A WHOLE BIRD?
- You can roast for all the flavor of a whole bird in half the time.
- A butterflied bird is great for grilling.
- There’s more surface area for a rub, a marinade or browning, for maximum flavor.
CUT WITH CONFIDENCE
- Use kitchen shears to along one side of the backbone, then the other.
- Discard the backbone or reserve for making stock.
- Breast-side up is when wing tips and drumsticks point up.
- Ensure doneness with a meat thermometer.
- Refrigerate any leftover chicken or turkey immediately and use within 3-5 days.