HOW TO: Butterfly a Whole Bird
Flatten a Whole Bird and Watch Cooking Time Fly
- Kitchen shears
- Butcher's twine
- Plastic cutting board
- Wet paper towels under the board for stability
Why Butterfly a Whole Bird?
- You can roast for all the flavor of a whole bird in half the time.
- A butterflied bird is great for grilling.
- There’s more surface area for a rub, a marinade or browning, for maximum flavor.
Cut With Confidence
- Use kitchen shears to along one side of the backbone, then the other.
- Discard the backbone or reserve for making stock.
- Breast-side up is when wing tips and drumsticks point up.
Ensure doneness with a meat thermometer.
Refrigerate any leftover chicken or turkey immediately and use within 3-5 days.