Think of broiling as grilling, indoors and upside down.
- Broiler pan or a cookie sheet with a cooling rack on top
- Aluminum foil
- Cooking oil spray
- Oven mitt
- Basting brush
Set-up & Techniques
- Preheat the broiler for about 5 minutes.
- Broiling sears chicken very quickly; choose cuts like boneless breasts, wings and thighs to ensure doneness.
- For easy clean up, wrap both levels of a broiler pan in foil and cut vents so fat drains to the catch pan.
- If you prefer, cover a cookie sheet in foil and set a cooling rack on it to hold the chicken.
- For easy turning spray everything with cooking oil.
- If you have an oven light, keep it on so you can easily size up progress.
- Keeping the oven door slightly ajar can help keep the oven from getting too hot.
Broiling vs. Grilling
|Delivers high heat from an overhead element.||Uses a grate with variable heat coming from below.|
|Doesn't change the taste of food.||Wood and charcoal- burning grills infuse added flavor.|
|Can be done indoors any time of year.||Many people grill year-round; most prefer "grilling season."|
Ensure doneness with a meat thermometer.
Refrigerate any leftover chicken or turkey immediately and use within 3-5 days.