Fast, foolproof ways to ensure moist, flavorful results.
- Basting brush
- Bulb baster
- Large spoon
- Oven mitt
Basting With Sauce
- A brush is the best tool for basting while grilling or broiling parts.
- Dip the brush in fresh sauce or marinade.
- Baste after turning the chicken; repeat on the "up" side once or twice during cooking time.
- Wash the brush in hot, soapy water.
Basting With Pan Juices
- Using a bulb baster is the easiest way to baste a whole, roasted bird.
- Wear an oven mitt and baste every 20-30 minutes, depending on your cooking time.
- Clean by removing the rubber bulb, soaking both pieces in hot, soapy water.
- Air dry before putting the bulb back on.
Ensure doneness with a meat thermometer.
Refrigerate any leftover chicken or turkey immediately and use within 3-5 days.